Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Random Recipes

The recipes for this week’s column are ones that have been made in the last couple of weeks and I feel are worth sharing.

On-the-Go Breakfast Muffins Recipe
Source: www.tasteofhome.com
1 pound bulk sausage - I use 1/2 lb. Van’s IGA sausage
5 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup canola oil
extra cheddar cheese - shredded
Preheat oven to 400°.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
In a small bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour into same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, whisk remaining eggs, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
Fold in 2/3 cup cheese, sausage and scrambled eggs.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. (I use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop and I found I liked my Demarle Silicone muffin pan the best) Sprinkle tops or each muffin with extra shredded cheese. Bake 13-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, microwave each muffin on high for 45-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.

The following recipe is one that my son cooked this last week and told me it was really good - and it must be good for you too, as it has a lot of veggies in it!

Rainbow Blossom’s Vegetable Soup
1 lg Onion - chopped
4 Celery ribs - chopped
2 T Vegetable oil
1 small head broccoli - cut into florets
1 small head cauliflower - cut into florets
3 lg Potatoes - cubed
2 lg Carrots - finely chopped
1 md Zucchini - diced
1 md Yellow squash - diced
28 oz Can tomatoes & juice - diced
1/2 c Frozen lima beans
1/2 c Frozen green beans
1/2 c Frozen corn
1/2 c Frozen peas
2 qt Water
1/4 c Season Salt
1/2 t Garlic flakes - or use the real stuff!
1 t Basil
1/4 t Thyme
1 t Cumin
1 t Chili powder
1/4 t Oregano
1 t Parsley flakes
1 T honey
3 T Tamari sauce
In a large kettle, saute onion and celery in oil until onions are translucent. Add broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, squash, tomatoes and juice, lima beans, green beans, corn, peas and water. (If you prefer a thinner soup, more water can be added.) Stir well.
Add seasoned salt, garlic, basil, thyme, cumin, chili powder, oregano, parsley flakes, honey and tamari or soy sauce. Simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

I always enjoy finding a good recipe that I can put in the crockpot. The following recipe I made at noon one day before I went to work at the museum here in Forsyth. It smelled so good when I walked in the house at dinner time! The only thing I would change the next time I make it is to use water instead of beef broth as I felt it had too strong a beef flavor. I also used “Clear-Jel” (Cook type) instead of the cornstarch because I planned on freezing the left-overs.

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
www.spendwithpennies.com
6 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion - sliced
1 1/2 cups beef broth - (low sodium)
1 oz package brown gravy mix
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon dijon
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 tablespoons corn starch
4 tablespoons water
Beef Patties:
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup minced onion
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons milk
1 clove garlic
salt
pepper to taste
Place mushrooms & onions in the bottom of your slow cooker. Combine beef patty ingredients and form 6 patties. Brown over medium high heat (about 3 minutes per side). Layer beef patties over mushrooms. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over beef. Cook on low 5 hours.
Once cooked, remove patties and set aside.
Turn slow cooker onto high. Combine cold water and cornstarch (Clear-Jel). Stir into the broth and let cook a few minutes until thickened. Add beef back into the sauce to coat. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

Teriyaki String Beans
Source: “Cooking with the Firehouse Chef” by Keith Young
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
10 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
2 lbs. fresh string beans, rinsed, topped, and tailed
Approximately 1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Bring 4 quarts water and 1 T. salt to a boil in a large pot. While the water is coming to the boil, heat the butter and olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and, when the butter has melted, add the onion and saute until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to saute for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
While the mushrooms and onions are cooking, the water should have come to a boil. Add the string beans and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. The string beans should be bright green and still slightly crisp; they should not be limp and mushy. Drain the string beans through a colander and add them directly to the pan with the other ingredients along with the teriyaki sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on low heat and serve immediately. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.