Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Small Size Preserving

Years ago, when my boys were small, I had a large garden and would do all kinds of canning; anymore, I don’t need that much so I have been either canning in very small amounts or using only one jar to pickle things and putting them in the refrigerator until the item is almost used up and then making another jar. It would also work when you have a small garden and don’t have enough produce to can a large amount.
I found a smaller tall stock pot and put a round rack in the bottom for when I want to can just a couple jars of salsa or something that requires a hot-water bath. I also have a small pressure cooker that I can use to can a couple pints of vegetable or things that need to be put under pressure.
Lately I have made Sauerkraut, pickled asparagus, mustard pickles, bread and butter pickles and pickled beans, so I thought I would share a few of those recipes with you.

Pickled Asparagus
http://www.cappersfarmer.com
1 bunch asparagus - enough to fill a 1-quart jar
1 to 2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dill seed
3/4 t. black peppercorns
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar - OR - apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling salt, don’t use table salt
*Trim asparagus to fit jar, leaving 1/2 in head-space.
*Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 30 seconds (this will help with flavor).
*Pack into a wide mouth quart jar. You don’t want to damage the asparagus, but pack tightly.
*Add garlic, peppercorns and dill seed.
*Bring water, vinegar and salt to a simmer in a saucepan.
*Pour over packed asparagus, just covering asparagus.
*Lightly tap jar on the counter to release the air bubble. Place a lid on the jar. Leave at room temperature until cool, then place in the fridge for 48 hours before eating.
*May be kept up to 1 month in the back of the fridge.
Editor’s Note: You can add more peppercorns if you like it hotter. As far as I’m concerned I will never buy pickled asparagus again as this recipe is excellent.

Sauerkraut in a Mason Jar
Source: about.com
Sauerkraut came to Europe via Asia, where people have been pickling cabbage for thousands of years. Because of its high vitamin C content, it was very useful in preventing scurvy and keeping people healthy throughout the winter months when no fresh food was available.
To make your own sauerkraut you will rely on the bacteria found on the cabbage leaves. The salt draws out the water and kills off the spoilage bacteria. You will need between a 0.6% and 2% salt concentration, which equals 3/4 to 2 teaspoons of table salt per pound of prepared cabbage.
8-10 cups shredded cabbage, loosely packed - (about 2-lbs), about 1 cabbage
10 juniper berries
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
1-2 tsp. un-iodized or pickling salt
1 c. filtered water mixed with 1 tsp. salt
In a clean, non-metallic bowl, mix cabbage, juniper berries, caraway, mustard seeds, and salt. Stir cabbage to release juices. Let rest 10 minutes then mix again. You may let this rest longer (1-2 hours) if needed.
Sterilize jar and lid by boiling for several minutes in water and draining on a clean dishcloth.
Pack into a sterilized quart-sized, wide-mouthed jar, pushing down with a wooden mallet. (I used the wooden mallet that came with my meat grinder). Add filtered, or non-chlorinated, salty (1 teaspoon salt per cup of water) water to rim of jar and cap loosely with a sterilized canning lid. Place jar on a tray to catch overflowing juices. Keep jar between 65°F and 72°F for 2-3 weeks.
After bubbling stops, check container and top off with salty (1 teaspoon salt per cup of water, warm slightly to dissolve completely) water if level falls below rim. Skim any (harmless) white spots or film from the top, close jar tightly, wipe off outside of jar and store in the refrigerator until you use it up.
Note: German sauerkraut is made using salt, whereas Kimchi is made with rice wine. Both create a favorable environment for fermentation. Canned sauerkraut should be rinsed in a colander prior to eating, to reduce the briny flavor, but fresh sauerkraut does not have to be. Sauerkraut may be eaten raw, as a garnish or salad, or cooked, with apples, bacon and onions. It is low in calories, too.
*Peel large outer leaves from cabbage to use on the top of the shredded cabbage in the jar to help keep it under the brine. Yield: 1 quart

Easy Mustard Pickle Recipe
Source: http://redeemyourground.com
Because there’s no canning or cooking, that means they need to be refrigerated. They are a crunchy, slightly sweet, slightly spicy pickle.
Quart size canning jars (I used a 2-qt. jar and doubled the recipe)
Fresh pickling cucumbers…the more you have the more you make. (I found some small cucumbers at Van’s, but they didn’t quite fill the jar so I sliced a regular cucumber and added that and it seemed to work out just fine. I did have to scrub the wax coating off of the big cucumber though.)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon canning salt
1 1/2 t. dry mustard (you can add more if you like them hotter)
2 cloves garlic - minced or pressed
Apple cider vinegar - enough to fill a quart jar packed with cucumbers 2/3 full
Filtered cold water - to top off the jars
Pack cut cukes into a jar.
Add dry ingredients and garlic.
Fill jar 2/3’s with cider vinegar.
Add cold water to fill jar to the brim.
Seal lid and shake well.
Leave jars out and shake every now and then for the next 24 hours.
Refrigerate.
They are best cold…and they keep for up to a year if they are not opened. Not to worry, you won’t have them that long. Great for a snack, to throw in a picnic and the sliced version is awesome on a cheese burger, turkey sandwich or any sandwich to add a little zing. Try it…enjoy them…they’re too good and it’s too easy not to! Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.