Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

The Military - Part 3

The original stockade of Fort Ellis enclosed a rectangle 390 by 458 feet and was ten feet high. The quartermaster’s stables were built of logs while the four cavalry stables were of logs and roofed with boards. The barracks was built of unhewn pine logs, with mortar filling and pine board floors. Pure water was supplied from Gallatin river. The fort reservation included a square of land, each side of which was seven miles long, this area having long since been transformed into flowing grain and forage fields. The buildings as rebuilt by the cavalry have completely disappeared, there remaining today to mark this historic spot, but the stone base of an old sun-dial. The little group of buildings that marked the officers’ quarters, facing north upon a broad street formerly used as a parade ground, are now but a memory in the mind of the Gallatin county pioneer. The guardhouse that stood at the western extremity of the enclosure has disappeared and with it has gone the canteen that stood close by. Opposite these officers’ quarters were two long frame buildings, the barracks. Some distance southwest of the main group of buildings, in a little grove of trees, stood the post hospital; and, still further on, on the southeast was the two-story house that was the commanding officers’ quarters. These, too, have passed with the vanishing race of natives who once held by undisputed authority the soil upon which these buildings stood.
It will thus be seen that old Fort Ellis was patterned in design and construction very similar to the description of early-day frontier forts, given by General Forsyth.

Fort Parker, on the Upper Gallatin
The Gallatin valley boasted of a second military post, which, although short-lived, was by far the more elaborate of the two. On a beautiful location, about 35 miles from Bozeman, in 1869, was erected by Colonel L. M. Black, Fort Parker, at that time the best military post in the Territory. It was on an elevated plateau, 60 feet above the valley, its position commanding the entire width of the valley for many miles, and any approach of hostiles could easily be foreseen. On the east a beautiful crystal stream passed; on the rear were the mountains; and in front, and about one mile to the north was the Yellowstone river. This fort was destroyed by fire October, 1872.

Fort Thomas Francis Meagher was established in 1872, the site being near a spring capable of supplying water to 5,000 cavalry, if necessary. It was built three miles below McAdow canyon, (or Yellowstone canyon). Camp Meagher, Camp Ida Thoroughman and Fort Green Clay Smith, which were established at different points along the Yellowstone and Musselshell in 1867, cannot be considered other than temporary quarters for the volunteers.

Fort Pease, on the Yellowstone
Located on a high bottom about 10 to 15 feet square and three sides were built of logs while the fourth was of poles. The fort was evacuated March 4, 1876, and in May of the same year, ti was burned to the ground by the Indians.

Fort Benton, Military Supply Station
It was in 1869 that the military came to old Fort Benton. In that year, the fort erected by the American Fur company, passed into the hands of the government, to be used as a storehouse of supplies for the different military posts of the Territory. It was maintained as this sort of establishment until the close of navigation on the Missouri in the late eighties.

Camp Logan, in Meagher County
Originally named Camp Baker, but later designated Camp Logan in honor of Captain Logan who was killed at the Battle of the Big Hole in 1877, a cantonment was established, in November, 1869, to afford protection to the miners of Diamond City and Confederate Gulch. It was situated at a point on upper Smith river (or Deep creek), and about 50 miles above the confluence of that stream with the Missouri, in what is now Meagher county. Parts of one or two of the original buildings still stand. Two years ago, the D. A. R., with fitting ceremonies, erected a marker on one of these structures.

Fort Missoula, on the Bitter Root
It was Lieutenant A. C. Worden who selected the site for the military post at Missoula, in July, 1876. The following year a post was erected by Companies A and I of the Seventh Infantry, under Captains Rawn and Logan. The site of the original fort was on the right bank of St. Mary’s fork of the Bitter Root river, four miles from its confluence with the Hell Gate river. The area of the original reserve was 2,777 acres, of which 1,577 was timber land. Fort Missoula is still maintained as a U. S. military post and is manned by a small garrison.

Fort Keogh, on Tongue River
The Montana military post, around which has been built up more military history than any other like institution in the Territory, was old Fort Keogh, still standing on its original location, but a short distance west of Miles City, and now utilized as a Federal Range Experiment Station. Fort Keogh was built in 1877 to supply the place of a fort dismantled in 1875-76; and was constructed under the direction of the late General Nelson A. Miles, (at that time Brevet Major General). The post was first garrisoned by the Fifth Infantry and a battalion of the Second Cavalry. Up to the time of its abandonment, but a few years ago, it presented the appearance of a large village, and was complete in all the requirements of a center of population.
Fort Keogh was the outgrowth of a military camp established in 1874 by General Miles at the mouth of Tongue river. It was from this Fort Keogh that General Miles marched with his battalions on the trail which led to the Bear Paw Battleground, and the surrender of Joseph, chief of the rebelling Nez Percés in 1877.

Fort Custer, on the Big Horn
Following the Battle of the Little Big Horn, a fort of impressive proportions and structure was established at the junction of the Custer and Big Horn rivers, not far from the scene of the famous Custer battle. Fort Custer was brought into being as a military post in 1877. There were few events to distinguish this fort, as its establishment postdated the era of its actual necessity in its particular location.

Fort Assiniboine
The largest military reserve in the United States, located but a short distance southwest of the city of Havre, was the site of old Fort Assiniboine. The sizeable and substantial post was brought into being to furnish protection against the Sioux, Crees and other tribes then ranging along the Canadian boundary. Its construction was started May 9, 1879 and, when completed, it was by far the finest military post ever established in the West. There were 35 sets of officers quarters and quarters for ten companies of men. The post hospital was a mammoth structure in the center of the group of buildings, and on either side of it were the post chapel, and a building used for gymnasium, bowling alley and theater. The parade ground was 2,000 feet in length and 400 feet wide. The octagonal space including the buildings, which were all constructed of brick made near the fort site, was 3,600 feet long and 1,700 feet wide. The assemblage of structures included the post trader store of Broadwater, McCulloch & Co, and fully equipped school for the children of officers and enlisted men.
It was at Fort Assiniboine that General John J. Pershing, then a Lieutenant under General Miles, was stationed for several months. Many of the buildings are still standing and the fort site is now utilized by the Montana State college as the North Montana Experiment Station.

Fort Maginnis, in Judith Basin
Central Montana - that section now known as the Judith Basin - was not without its military post. In 1883, Captain Dangerfield Park and two companies of the Third Infantry established Fort Maginnis. The location selected was about three miles north from the original Granville Stuart ranch on Ford Creek, near the Judith mountains. It contained a reserve of about 500 acres. There were few events that distinguish the career of this fort, and it has been abandoned for many years.
In the eighties a camp known as Cantonment Porter was established below Glendive near Terry’s Landing, and was a protective measure for the benefit of travelers in that section. This was but one of the many military camps that have been mentioned in Montanan’s history, but which can not be listed among the regular established military forts.
Fort Harrison, located a few miles east of Helena, can hardly be classed among the frontier posts of the state. It was established in the nineties after Montana had been admitted to statehood, and frontier conditions had ceased to prevail. Fort Harrison is now Montana’s military headquarters. It is at present garrisoned by the 165th Infantry; and its reserve is the training ground for Montana’s National Guard. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.