Camp Cook, on the Missouri
The first permanent military camp in Montana Territory was established on the south bank of the Missouri river, at the mouth of the Judith river, and was called Camp Cook. This camp was garrisoned by the first battalion of the 13th Infantry under Major Clinton, in the fall of 1866. It was the result of repeated Blackfeet and Sioux uprisings. Situated one-half mile southwest of Camp Cooke, and about the same distance south of the Missouri river, was located the Camp Cooke National Cemetery, where were interred the bodies of eighteen Union soldiers who died at the post during the time of its maintenance as a frontier post. Camp Cooke was abandoned shortly after the location and construction of Fort Shaw.
Fort Buford at Mouth of Yellowstone
It was during the month of July 1866 that Fort Buford (one and one-half miles below the old trading post, Fort Unions, and on the opposite side of the Yellowstone river, on the site of Campbell & Sublette’s trading post of 1833), was erected by Colonel Rankin. This fort had a short but eventful existence. Eleven months after its construction, the combined forces of several northern hostile tribes of Indians assaulted the position, but were repulsed. Well reinforced, the redmen renewed the attack, and, after three hundred of their number, succeeded in capturing the post and putting to death Colonel Rankin and his entire command. There is a story told how Colonel Rankin, himself, shot his wife rather than expose her to the cruelty of the natives.
Fort Shaw on Sun River
With the growth of Fort Benton as a river port, trading center and the starting point for the greater portion of overland travel to and from the new mining camps at Last Chance and Alder gulches, it was found necessary that the military extend its activities farther up the Missouri valley. Thus, June 30, 1867, found Major William Clinton and four companies of the 13th Infantry encamped on a spot, about six miles west of Sun River Crossing and approximately 28 miles west of the present city of Great Falls. Their purpose was to protect and keep open the stage route from Helena to Fort Benton, and to prevent, as far as possible, the incursions of renegade bands of Bloods and half-breeds into the settlements to the south. Their camp was called Camp Reynolds. On August 1, 1867, pursuant to government orders the name was changed to Fort Shaw. This was done in remembrance of the services of Colonel Robert G. Shaw of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteers, (colored), who was killed at Fort Wagner in 1863.In August, 1867, the soldiers were encamped in tents, but before the cold weather had set in, one-half of each set of company quarters, part of the hospital, a wooden storehouse, and three sets of officers’ quarters had been completed. The walls of the buildings, for the most part, were constructed of adobe, the bricks used being in dimension 6x12x4, and well baked. Many of these structures still stand on the original site The Fort Shaw military reservation, in its entirety, extended along the Sun River valley for a distance of at least ten miles.
Old Fort Shaw was one of the most important military posts in the entire northwest, at one time, and, for many years it was headquarters for the military in Montana Territory, as well as portions of surrounding states and territories. It was here that General Gibbon, with his Seventh Infantry, relieved the 13th Infantry in 1872; and, according to his own statement, it was at this fort that this veteran Indian fighter spent the most enjoyable portion of his sojourn in the West. During his term as commander of the post, as well as during the stay there of General Brooke, the post was one of the Territory’s social centers. The fort’s buildings included a spacious dance hall and theatre. Here many traveling troupes presented high-class performances before both soldier and civilian and the regimental a band furnished music for regular dances and other entertainment. Stories have often been told of many creditable home-talent performances staged by troopers, in which many men prominent in military circles participated.
The Seventh Infantry was relieved in 1879 by the Third Infantry with General John R Brooke in command. In the spring of 1887, the 25th Infantry, (colored), under Colonel Van Horne relieved the Third, and this regiment remained at the fort until its abandonment as a military post. For several years, the old fort was utilized as an Indian school.
Fort Ellis in the Gallatin Valley
It was an order from General Terry, then in command of the Department of Dakotah, that resulted in the establishment of Fort Ellis on August 27, 1867. This frontier post, which was so recently in the unveiling of a memorial tablet by the Montana D. A. R., was situated on the Gallatin river, about 6,000 feet above sea level. Hemmed in on three sides by bold mountains, and facing to the south over high prairie lands, Fort Ellis commanded a most picturesque setting. It was constructed by two companies of the 13th Infantry under command of Major Lamont.A large stockade, 16 feet high, was built about the houses, which - both men’s and officers’ quarters - were of logs. Bastions were erected at two of the corners - the southwest and northeast. While the plans were that the post should be garrisoned by at least two companies, the original orders were that the fort should be built in such a manner that it could be held by 15 men in the event that the main force were away at the time of a surprise attack.
The purpose of Fort Ellis was to command the mountain passes into the Gallatin valley from the east, the most important of which was “Bozeman,” or Clark’s Pass, which was the western terminus of the famous Bozeman Trail. The post was given its name in honor of Colonel Ellis of the Sixth Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry, (colored), a brave and brilliant officer who was killed during the Civil war. In 1869 the garrison of Fort Ellis was reinforced by four companies of the Second Cavalry, which marched in from Fort Russell, Wyoming; and these four troops remained at the post practically the entire period of its maintenance as a military institution; but the two companies of infantry were changed from time to time. It was abandoned by the War Department in 1886.
Upon the arrival of the cavalry, the stockade was torn down and the frame buildings which served as barracks were erected and other buildings added.
For years the garrison of the post had a lively time of it. Great trains of emigrants were arriving from the east over the Bozeman route and the hostile Sioux and thieving Crows, constantly at war one with the other, gave no end of trouble, necessitating frequent military expeditions to protect life and property.
The first duty of the garrison at Fort Ellis was to go upon an expedition to the mouth of the Musselshell river to seek out a practical route to what was then expected would be the head of navigation on the Missouri. This trip was practically uneventful.
It was from this fort, in 1869, that Major Baker and his four companies set out in the dead of winter for the country of the Blackfeet to avenge the death of Malcolm Clarke. How his efforts, resulted in the massacre of an entire village of helpless, disease-stricken Indians, is now common knowledge.
A Battle With the Sioux
It was from Fort Ellis, too, that detachments were sent to protect surveying parties who were, in 1870-71, mapping out a proposed route for the Northern Pacific railroad. On the second of these protective expeditions (in 1872), the Battle of Baker’s Battlefield was fought east of Billings. About 1,500 Indians, chiefly Sioux, participated in the engagement. The command had with it a considerable beef heard, which was quartered outside the camp. In those days, it was the custom of many civilians to follow the military on such forays, carrying with them stocks of liquor and goods which were disposed of to the troopers or traded to the Indians for furs. In this case, there were a number of civilians following the detachment, and these were quartered outside the regular military camp.Early one morning, a civilian awoke and found a painted savage bending over him. He immediately shot and killed the intruder, and the command, awakened by the report, opened its eyes to find that the camp was surrounded by Indians.
Active firing followed, and the Indians retreated to the bench lands. A protracted battle ensued. Finally the cavalry saddled up in preparation for a charge, where upon the Indians hastily withdrew. The Indians lost, 40 killed and 100 wounded, while one soldier and one civilian had been killed, and three soldiers were severely wounded. Print this post

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.