Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Favorite Recipes

This week I thought I would share a few recipes that I have tried and really like and hope that you like them too.
Recently I was sent the recipe for “Iced Green Tea” from eCuisine - because I am signed up for them to send me their recipes! I’m sure I have mentioned in the past that I get their magazine “Cuisine” every month as well. I have not found a recipe that they put out that I don’t like and this one is no exception. I do not have fresh mint on hand so I use the dried mint (a couple good pinches) and I don’t garnish it with the lime. I have also made it without the ginger and it is still really good. The only problem with the recipe is that it doesn’t make enough - so I make a gallon the last time. This is one way to get a good dose of green tea (which “they” claim has so many health benefits).
Iced Green Tea
Source: eCuisine
Get all the flavors of green tea, plus refreshing hints of ginger, mint, and lime, in one ice-cold drink — perfect for hot days.
4 c. water - divided
1/4 c. sliced fresh ginger - (2-inch knob)
1/4 c. packed fresh mint leaves
6 bags green tea
1/2 c. sugar
Lime wedges
Fresh mint sprigs
Bring 1 cup water, ginger, and mint leaves to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove pan from heat and add tea bags. Steep tea bags, covered, 5 minutes, then press tea bags with the back of a spoon to extract liquid. Remove and discard tea bags and strain tea into a bowl.
Whisk sugar into tea until completely dissolved. Pour tea over ice in a large pitcher.
Stir in remaining 3 cups water. Pour tea into four glasses filled with ice and garnish with lime wedges and mint sprigs.

When I first moved to Hysham I got to buy one of the 2nd printing cookbooks compiled by the Treasurebelles called Kitchen Treasures. It is well worn and in it are many of my favorite recipes. For those of you that weren’t fortunate enough to acquire one of these books I have included a few of my “go-to” recipes.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
2 lbs. ground beef
2 eggs
1/4 c. onion flakes or chopped onion
garlic salt
Mi above together. Shape into balls. Dredge well in flour. Fry in 2 T. margarine.
Sauce:
6 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. onion salt
2 T. cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c. vinegar
1 c. water
6 T. catchup
2 T. soy sauce
1 - 14 oz. pineapple tidbit, drained
Mix all above together. Simmer until thick. Pour over meatballs. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Can be made ahead of time and frozen.
(Originally submitted by Margaret Wilson)

Lasagne
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground lean pork
1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste
2 t. garlic salt
1 1/2 t. oregano leaves
1 t. basil leaves
2 c. creamed cottage cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3 (4 oz. each) pkg. shredded Mozzarella cheese
12 oz. lasagne noodles, cooked and well drained
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
In Dutch oven or large skillet, cook and stir meats until brown; drain off fat. Add tomatoes; break up with fork. Stir in tomato paste, garlic salt, oregano leaves and basil leaves. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mixture is consistency of spaghetti sauce.
Heat oven to 350. Stir together cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella cheese. In ungreased baking pan, 13x9x2 inches, alternate layers of 1/3 each noodles, remaining meat sauce, remaining Mozzarella cheese and the cottage cheese mixture.
Spread reserved meat sauce over top; sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle reserved Mozzarella cheese across lasagne. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. cut into 3 inch squares. 8 servings. (Originally submitted by Helen Mouat)

I tasted the following recipe for the first time when Rebecca Almond brought it to the school to serve at one of the Beef Cook-offs and I couldn’t get enough of it - so she gave me the recipe. She also reminded me that it was in the “Kitchen Treasures” cookbook!
Tomato Aspic Salad
1 (3 oz) pkg. lemon Jell-O
2 c. tomato juice (I use Clamato)
2 T. vinegar
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. sliced stuffed olives
Chopped cucumbers (optional)
1 small can shrimp (optional - but highly recommended!)
Heat tomato juice; add vinegar and Jell-O. Cool; add celery, olives or other ingredients as desired. Pour in mold and chill until firm.

Another favorite salad that I make often follows:
Shrimp Macaroni Salad
1/2 package (large) shell macaroni, cooked
While hot and drained, mix in
2 T. Kraft French dressing
Marinate 24 hours. Add
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. stuffed olives, chopped
2 cans shrimp
Accent seasoning
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
celery salt
paprika
salt
pepper
mayonnaise to taste
(I add about 1/4 cup frozen peas, cooked)
(Originally submitted by Margret Cole)

Orange Julius
1/2 of a 6 oz. can (1/3 c.) frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
5-6 ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in blender; cover and blend until smooth, 30 seconds. (Originally submitted by Sandy Kicker) Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.