Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Crawfish Cornbread

For weeks I have been trying to learn how to post blogs with photos exported from one of my computer cookbooks and haven't had much luck - - until now. I am looking forward to working with it some more so I can add more photos to my recipes that I post.



1 med. onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 c. vegetable oil, divided
1 to 2 med. jalapeno peppers, mince
2 c. cornmeal
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1 (14 3/4 oz.) cream-style corn
1 1/2 c. (6 shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c. sliced green onions
1 c. crawfish tail meat, cooked

Chop onion and green pepper PastedGraphic-2011-12-8-03-50.png
  1. In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 1 T. oil until tender.
PastedGraphic1-2011-12-8-03-50.png

3. Remove from the heat. Stir in a jalapenos set aside. (I did not use the jalapenos but you can if you like. I think it would also taste good with a couple tablespoons of canned green chilies.)
  1. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
PastedGraphic2-2011-12-8-03-50.png


 5. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and remaining oil;


 PastedGraphic3-2011-12-8-03-50.png
  1. stir into the dry ingredients just until blended.
PastedGraphic4-2011-12-8-03-50.png

7. Stir in the corn, cheese, green onions, crawfish and reserved jalapeno mixture. (I do not use the crawfish when I make it, but it might taste really good that way......) PastedGraphic5-2011-12-8-03-50.png

8. Pour into a greased 13-in x 9-in. x 2in. baking pan. (I used a Demarle at Home Flexipan mold to bake it in. I like the fact that you don’t have to grease it and it comes out without any trouble. These molds come in a variety of shapes.

PastedGraphic6-2011-12-8-03-50.png
  1. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
PastedGraphic7-2011-12-8-03-50.png

 10. Cut into squares. 11. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftover. Yield: 15 servings. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.