Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Bacon

Have you checked out Van’s IGA web-site? I went there the other day because I wanted to sign up to win a year’s worth of groceries or a $100 Van’s Gift Card. You can sign up every day. While I was there I had to see what other “stuff” they had on their site.
I love the fact that you can see a digital image of the flyer specials they put out each week; just in case you lost the one that came in the mail you can call it up on your smart-phone while you are at Van’s or go to the site and add things to their digital grocery list - How handy is that?!! Please check it all out at: www.forsythiga.com - it is well worth your time!
One of the things they had in their flyer last week was bacon. Who doesn’t use bacon?! Due to the fact that I own a B&B I use quite a bit of bacon in the summer so I had to buy a few packages. I don’t only use it as a side for breakfast but also in a number of recipes that I make. This week I thought I would share some of those recipes with you.

All-In-One-Breakfast
1 slice whole wheat bread - toasted
1 teaspoon butter
3 fresh mushrooms - thin sliced
3 tomato slices
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 slice bacon - crisp -- drain/crumbled
Place toast on baking sheet.
Spread with butter if desired.
Cover with mushrooms and tomato slices.
Sprinkle cheese and crumbled bacon on top.
Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts.

Breakfast Pizza
1 9 single-crust pastry
1/2 pound bacon - cook -- crumble
8 ounces swiss cheese - shredded
4 eggs
12 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
Roll pastry to fit into a 12” pizza pan. Bake at 425~ for 5 minutes. Sprinkle bacon and cheese evenly over crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, sour cream and parsley until smooth; pour over pizza. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pizza is puffy and lightly browned. Yield 6 main-dish or 18 appetizer servings.

Bacon ‘n Eggs Sandwich
1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls
1 tablespoon onion - chopped
4 cheddar cheese slices
1/2 cup milk
1/2 pound bacon
2 eggs
Cook the bacon crisp; crumble. Heat oven to 375~. Separate dough into 4 rectangles. Place 2 rectangles in ungreased 8” square pan; press over bottom and 1/2” up sides to form crust, sealing perforations. Place cheese slices over dough. Sprinkle bacon and onions over evenly. Blend milk and eggs; pour over bacon. Separate remaining dough into triangles; arrange triangles over bacon-egg mix; do not seal. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and filling is set.

Fresh Broccoli Salad
2 bunches fresh broccoli
2 small red onions - chopped
1 pound bacon - diced and fried
1/2 cup sunflower seeds - (to 3/4 cup)
DRESSING:
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
Chop broccoli into small bite-size pieces. Add onions and bacon. Prepare dressing and pour over broccoli. Mix thoroughly and let marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Add sunflower seeds just before you serve.

Bacon Roll-Ups
1 can whole water chestnuts
1 pound bacon
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
Cut each bacon strip in thirds, wrap chestnut and secure with toothpick.
Mix mayonnaise, chili sauce, and brown sugar and pour over bacon roll-ups. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.