Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Cheese

 
I just came across a really good recipe for Cheese Fondue on kayotic.com. Fondue was very popular in the 70s & 80s but seems to be making a come-back. It is kind-of fun and you can not only do cheese fondue but you can do chocolate or even put oil in an electric fondue pot and cook meat in it - or have all three going at the same time!


Beer Cheese Fondue
Source: kayotic.com
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
pinch salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 can beer - (don’t drink the rest just yet)
2 tsp adobo sauce
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup Gruyère - (or mix it with another cheese)
1 garlic clove
1/3 onion

Slice the onion. Cut the garlic clove in half and rub the cut-side all over the inside of the fondue pan.
Heat the butter and cook the onion for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the flour, the mustard powder and cook for 2 minutes. Add the worcestershire sauce and to spice it up a bit, I add 2 tsp adobo sauce.
Slowly pour in the beer and stir vigorously. It will be a thick sauce now. Melt in the cheese. You can use all Gruyère, like I did, or mix it with sharp cheddar or Gouda.
If it’s too thick, add some more beer. Season with a little salt to taste, and simmer until it’s steaming hot.
Transfer the cheese to the fondue pan, light that little candle underneath and you’re all set.
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.