Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Almond Paste

In “Exploring the Aisle” at Van’s over Christmas I came upon Almond Paste. It is on the top shelf above the Jello. It got me wondering if I could make it myself with some of the Almonds that I had just purchased at Van’s… to the Internet I went - and low and behold I found quite a few recipes. I finally settled on one that I think turned out very well. I then proceeded to make the Almond Paste Scones - which were extremely good. I had also purchased a tube of the Almond Paste from Van’s so the next day I made a batch with it as well, just to compare. I really like both of them; so, if you don’t have time to make your own paste buy a tube! The Almond Galette will be the next thing I try. Maybe I can even make it on January 6th so I can keep with “tradition!”


Almond Paste
1-1/2 cups blanched almonds
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 egg white
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar, egg white, extract and salt; cover and process until smooth.
Divide almond paste into 1/2-cup portions; place in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
(Editor’s Note: I used regular almonds. The only thing that I could think of that would happen was that the paste would be flecked with brown spots. I didn’t think that would hurt anything!)

Almond Galette
In France the tradition of serving this galette can be traced back to the 14th century. The galette is typically served on January 6, which is Epiphany, or the Feast of the Kings.
1 lb. puff pastry
⅔ c. (6 oz.) almond paste
6 T. (3 oz.) unsalted butter
½ c. (3 ½ oz.) sugar
½ t. salt
2 large egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
⅓ c. (1 ½ oz.) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
½ c. ( 1 ¾ oz.) almond flour
Glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 t. water
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Divide the pastry in 2 equal pieces, and roll each out to form an 11 “ square. Using a 10”-round template, cut out one 10” circle and one 11” circle. Set aside.
Beat the almond paste, butter, sugar, and salt until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well incorporated. Mix in the all-purpose and almond flour.
Spread the filling over the smaller circle leaving a 1” rim around the edge of the pastry.
Mix the egg yolk and water together for the glaze, and brush it over the uncovered edge of the pastry.
Center the larger round of dough over the first, and smooth it out over the almond filling. Using a fork press and crimp the rim of the galette to seal.
Decorate the galette using the back of a knife to trace a pattern on the surface, poke five vent holes, and brush with the glaze.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is golden in color. Yield: 10” galette.

Cherry, Almond & Chocolate Cake 
175 grams almond paste
3 eggs
50 grams butter
90 grams bittersweet chocolate
30 grams flour
2 grams baking powder
cherries, pitted and cut into medium dice
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the almond paste with one egg with the paddle attachment. When this becomes a smooth mixture, add the rest of the eggs and switch to the whip attachment. Whip this for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
In the meantime, melt the butter and the chocolate over a double boiler. When the eggs have become thick and make a ribbon, turn the machine to low and add the melted chocolate and butter. Mix until combined. Add the flour and baking powder and mix. Fold in the pieces of cherry.
Refrigerate the batter for a couple of hours. Pipe into molds (half way up) and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. When the cake has almost set completely, place a whole cherry with its stem on top, let the cake finish baking for another 3 minutes or so.
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.