There are many things this software can do, including the capability of menu planning and cost-per-serving (something my Home Ec. students would have loved to have) as well as grocery lists. One thing that it can’t do is have more then one photo per recipe. With all the blogs out there it is really nice to be able to import photos for each step of the recipe and also the capability of exporting your cookbook to be printed professionally.
With the Baptist Cookbook I do all the layout with the same program I use to design the newspaper, which takes quite a bit of time, so I thought that would be a nice “extra” to have. There is also a program out there that lets you import video into your recipes, another nice feature for all the YouTube videos you can download.
It has been so hard to find just the right software - - then I thought, “I have more then one cookbook, why not have more then one program for my recipes?!!! I think I have pretty much settled on three programs that I will mainly use: my good old Shop’nCook, Cook’n (for the videos) and MacGourmet Deluxe for recipes that have multiple photos; at least that is where I’m at this week!
Computer cookbooks are really nice to have when you need to look up a favorite recipe or share one with a friend but a “real” cookbook just can’t be beat. It is kind of like the difference between a Kindle and a real book. There is just something about snuggling down under a comforter with a good book.
Anyway… in doing all the research on cookbook software I came across some interesting recipes that I would like to share this week.
At the beginning of the summer I told you about about a new product that I had discovered called “Demarle at Home.” On their Home Page they have a link to YouTube on how to make Sugar Art. If you have not tried it you should. It is a lot of fun to do - but don’t try it on a humid day as it won’t work. The recipe is very simple and so is the procedure, if you have the right tools. If you are curious, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yszasG9G28 and check it out. - Below is the recipes for it.
Sugar Art
1 cup sugar1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar acts as interfering agent so sugar won’t crystallize after candy is made
1/3 cup water
Mix sugar and cream of tartar to large stainless steel pan. Add the water and turn heat to medium-low.
Stir with heat-proof spatula until sugar is completely dissolved. You want it to come to a boil. Once the sugar is totally dissolved, remove your spatula. Take pastry brush and wash down the sides of the pan with water to get the sugar crystals off the sides of your pan.
Turn heat up to med.-high and let it continue to boil for 4-5 minutes until it becomes a beautiful amber color.
Pour into a heat-proof/dry measuring cup - this will stop the cooking. Stir with a non-heat transferable spoon so as not to draw the heat out of the liquid too quickly. Stir from the outside in to even out the heat.
Be sure and make on a dry day as humidity in the air will make it very sticky.
When it has cooled down somewhat use your spoon and make designs on the Silpat* or Roll Pat*.
If the sugar gets too cool and is hard to work with just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it back up a little.
Silpat and Roll Pat mats can be purchased from Demarle at Home or check on the Internet - - or call me and I’ll help you locate one. They are very handy to have for many other things besides Sugar Art.
One of my favorite blogs is: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/ - she has the best recipes plus her photos are very professionally done and I can add them to my MacGourmet Deluxe Cookbook!
The following recipe is from her blog: (she has photos to go with each step!)
Hearty Potato Soup
The simplest things in life are often the best. Which is precisely why this soup really needs no introduction. Not a long introduction, that is. Potato soup is one of the most simple, yet comforting and hearty soups out there. It’s also a versatile soup; you can make it taste different every single time by adding varying ingredients such as: leeks, celery, thyme or even rosemary. You can also try different cheeses to get different results.It’s no fancy soup; if anything, it’s as basic as it gets. The soup is made with only a small handful of ingredients—mainly ingredients most people keep in their fridge/pantry anyway. But it’s so tasty and comforting that I’ve labeled it ‘favorite soup’ from the very first time I ate it.
6 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated cheese
pepper
salt
Garnish:crumbled bacon
fresh parsley
1. Whoever said the ‘Holy Trinity’ in cooking is onions, garlic and celery, clearly never tried substituting celery for potatoes. It’s divine. Peel, wash and dice 6 medium potatoes. Starchy potatoes really do work best.
2. Finely chop 2 medium-sized onions.
3. Finely mince or grate two fairly large garlic cloves.
4. Measure 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. We’ll be making a roux.
5. Heat two tbsp of butter and cook the onions and garlic, over low heat, for about 5 minutes. Until the onions turn slightly translucent. Do not let the onions brown; it just doesn’t look good in a white soup.
6. Add 1/2 tsp mustard powder and 1/4 cup of flour to the onions. Cook for a minute to neutralize the rawness of the flour. Keep stirring.
7. I like my potato soup really thick. If you prefer a thinner soup; up the chicken broth with 1 or 2 cups. Add the potatoes to the onions and pour in the broth. Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes; until very, very tender.
8. Once the potatoes are done, mash them. It really works best if you mash them a little before using a hand-mixer.
9. You can transfer everything to a food processor -even your blender will do the trick- but using a hand-mixer is much easier. No matter how you do it, just mix until you have a lump-free soup. Unless you like lumpy soups, of course, then don’t let me stop you.
10. The next two steps are completely optional. I’m not pressuring you in any way to add fattening ingredients to your soup. But, oh boy, it sure tastes good!
11. Pour in 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Hmmmmm 1/4 cup really isn’t that bad, is it?
12. Add 1/2 cup grated cheese. I’ve used aged Gouda cheese, but just add whatever cheese makes your heart go pitter-patter. Many cheeses work with this soup: sharp cheddar, Gruyere, Parmesan.
13. Keep stirring until the cheese melts and blends in with the soup entirely.
14. Season the soup with salt, pepper and optionally some freshly grated nutmeg to taste. The nutmeg is really a Dutch thing, I know; we add nutmeg to almost anything. Pity us.
15. Garnish with a little crumbled bacon, some fresh parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. Now this is my kinda lunch. Or dinner. Or breakfast. Or snack. Or… Print this post

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.