Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Family Favorites

When mom passed away in 2008 I “inherited” her recipes. At that time I thought how nice it would be to put together a blog called “My Mother’s Recipe Box.” I looked on-line to see if anyone else was doing the same thing and could only find an article that had been published in another state about the author’s mother’s recipes. Today I checked on-line and there are all kinds of sites titled “My Mother’s Recipe Box; so I must have had a good idea; then I got to thinking that I would like to publish family favorite recipes featuring a different family each week. If a family would submit enough recipes to fill this column each week I would love to publish them. Please email them to me at: cklinker@rangeweb.net or mail them to: Hysham Echo Newspaper PO Box 129 Forsyth, MT 59327. Please don’t put it off - do it now before you forget!
I will start this week with recipes compiled by a granddaughter of her grandmother’s favorite recipes. But by next week I hope your recipes will start “pouring in!” Thank you in advance for taking the time to send them to me and for sharing them with the other subscribers.
I found a recipe on-line that was submitted by the daughter of a lady that had passed away and the daughter wrote, “she still lives in our memory, and as long as her recipes are used, her influence will always be felt,” and I thought about how people’s memories live on as we use their recipes and relay their stories to those we share the recipes with; so be sure to include who you received the recipes from and maybe even a short story to go with it.
Again - Thanks!

Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 C sifted cake flour
1 1/4 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa
1 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp crème of tartar
1 tsp Salt
2/3 c. Crisco
3/4 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs - unbeaten
Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, crème of tartar and salt into mixing bowl.
Drop in Crisco, add ¾ C milk, then vanilla and beat 200 strokes or 2 minutes at low speed with electric mixer.
Bake in 2 deep 8” greased layer pans at 350 for 30-40 min.
Spread with green mint frosting. Gramma notes “I use my oblong pan with cover so I can keep it covered to keep fresh”

Carrot cookies
 Scant 1 C shortening
1 1/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 C mashed carrots
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
few drops almond extract
Cream sugar and shortening, beat in egg and carrots.
Sift dry ingredients, add to mixture with extracts.
Drop by teaspoonful on greased cookie sheet 3 inches apart and bake until golden brown in moderate oven. (425)

Gumdrop Bars
2 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
Sift dry ingredients together. Toss together:
1 C soft gumdrops - (don’t include licorice ones
1/2 C chopped nuts
1 T flour
Beat:
3 eggs
2 C light brown sugar
1/4 C evaporated milk
1/2 stick melted butter
Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients 1/3 at a time, beating well after each addition. By hand, stir in gumdrop/nut mixture and spread in a greased 10x13” pan and bake in a moderate oven for about 40 minutes or until shrinks away from sides of pan. Cut into finger length bars.

Oatmeal Muffins
In a bowl put:
3/4 C quick oats
1/2 C canned milk
1/2 C water
2 T melted Crisco
Let stand 10 min.
Sift together:
1 C flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
2/3 tsp salt
Add to oat and liquid mixture and mix thoroughly. Put in greased muffin tins bake 20 min in oven 425 or until brown. Serve warm.

Mayonnaise Cake
1 C mayonnaise
1 C sugar
2 C flour
3 T cocoa
2 tsp soda
1 C luke warm water
1 tsp vanilla
Mix all ingredients. Bake in two layers for 35 min at 350.

Strawberry Pie
Dissolve:
1 pkg strawberry Jell-O
1 1/2 C boiling water
and set to cool. Bake a pie shell and fill with
fresh strawberries
1/4 C powdered sugar
Pour over the top, the slightly thickened Jell-O and put in ice box to set. Then cover with whipped cream.

Date Pudding
1 lb dates
1 tsp soda
1 C hot water
Mix in bowl and let stand until cool. Stir in
1 C sugar
1 T butter
1 beaten egg
pinch salt
Then stir in
1 1/2 C flour - mix thoroughly
Blend in
1 tsp vanilla
1 C chopped pecans
Bake 35 minutes at 350. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.