Hysham Echo Newspaper

The Hysham Echo Newspaper has been published since Nov. 28, 1911 for Treasure County, Montana.

The Echo has undergone many changes over the years and I was honored to be the editor at the time it turned 100.

Each week I will publish the recipes and Page from the Past and the obits as soon as I receive them.

Vegetable Pancakes

Paula H. Dean - The Lady & Sons, Too!

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
1 c. grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
1 c. grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
2 green onions, sliced
2 T. vegetable oil

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, carrots, zucchini, and onions. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour the batter by tablespoonfuls into the pan, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Add the remaining oil to the pan as needed. Serve at once.

When I was in Japan I was taken to a restaurant that only served what they called Okonomiyaki - which means “your choice.” Basically they are vegetable pancakes with a sauce made out of fruits and vegetables to pour over the pancakes. They also spread mayonnaise over them along with bonito flakes (dried fish) and seaweed. They might trow in shrimp, pork sliced very thin or a variety of vegetables; like the name implies - it is your choice what you put in and on it.

When I made these pancakes I substituted cabbage for the zucchini and I used the Japanese toppings and I could hardly tell the difference. The Japanese style pancakes has sake as well as fish stock in the pancakes but you really can’t taste it. The ingredients for this recipe are a lot easier to find. Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.